I like to write and think about the little things. I can’t help but think that there are endless avenues that lead towards a more satisfying moment, hour, or even day. They are small little details that pack a big punch. How we arrive at a given moment may be entirely up to us, so why not explore the options? The paths to smile are as many as we can conjure. We just need to reach out with an open mind and give ourselves the time the of day. After all, we deserve it.
I’m not talking about spiritual bliss, here. I’m talking about the little things:
1. Put lemon in your tea.
2. Garnish the plate of a home cooked meal.
3. Polish your shoes every once and a while.
4. Write a handwritten letter to a good friend.
5. Drink coffee out of a mug, even at a coffee shop.
6. Call your friend to laugh out loud.
7. Write a list of things to not do.
8. Look in the mirror and say “damn you look good.”
9. Put on your robe and slippers to eat dinner (at home, preferably).
10. Find a way to work bloody hell into your vocabulary.
In thrall to routine, we tend to cut corners when it comes to our own happiness, and I’m afraid that we miss out on some of the simple joys in life. The word routine is French from route. Our days are filled with alternate routes, most of which converge just before we jump into bed. We can always decide which path to take. So why take the same path if other options are available?
Off the top of your head, do you have any little things?