Who did I idolize as a teenager? I gave myself sixty-seconds to think about it and concluded that the better question is who didn’t I idolize as a teenager?
Like many, during the awkward teenage years, I idolized anyone that:
- lacked a frog in their throat,
- had clear skin (with the exception of a killer mustache),
- had a driver’s license,
- could talk to girls without blushing,
- weighed more than 142 pounds, and
- owned their own bowling shoes.
It’s silly isn’t it? What I love about this thought, though, is that when it comes to writing, it’s these types of oft irrational idolizations (or jealousies or insecurities) that help make our characters relatable. I can still relate, in fact, to my teenage self (I still can’t grow a killer mustache). Can you?
Comments make me happy, leave one for eternalLuck